Thursday, June 13, 2013

"I'll love you forever" baby frame

 
Sorry I have been away from my blog for a few months. We found out we were expecting baby #2 and hubby got a new job which is requiring us to move! Oh My! But never the less, let me try to catch you up on my recent projects...
 
 
I love this project! This has to be my favorite so far and I couldn't have made it for such a nicer couple. They have been married for 11 years and have been trying to have a baby with no luck... till now!!!
 
 
Inspiration:
 
Picture Frame Personalized Picture Frame 16x16 I'll LOVE YOU FOREVER Baptism Christening First Birthday Gift Godparents The Sugared Plums
 
I saw this frame on etsy and absolutely fell in love with it! However, I did not want to spend that much so went about seeing if I could make my own. I loved the turn out! Here's how I did it...
 
Materials used:
11X12 piece of wood
12X12 piece of scrapbook paper ($0.59 @ Hobby Lobby)
Fine point Sharpie marker in brown ($1.99 @ Michaels)
printer
4X6 frame ($2.97 @ Walmart)
"light" box (will explain later)
Elmer's glue-all ($2 @ Walmart)
2 foam brush ($0.25 @ Michaels)
Weldbond glue ($3.99 @ Hobby Lobby)
Mod Podge in Matte ($4.47 @ Walmart)
Folk Art acrylic paint in Bark Brown ($0.97 @ Walmart)
brush ($0.99 @ Lowes)
sander
credit card (or any tool you have to smooth out bubbles)
easel ($12.99 @ Hobby Lobby- got it 50% off so $6.50)
 
If you have some of these items, then your total will be cheaper, but if not the total is roughly $30 to make and a total time of 3 hours to complete!
 
Step 1: I chose a green scrapbook page because it was for a boy with a camo room, but any paper that fits your theme will do. Now with making a frame that's so big you're wondering how I did the font. Well I was wondering how I was going to do it too. I have a basic printer like most people and the biggest page it prints is a 9X11. So after playing on the computer I came up with printing the lettering in landscape and printed it over 2 pages that I taped together after I placed it the way I wanted it on the page. (I was contemplating going to Kinko's and seeing if they could scan it on the paper for me, but unsure if that's something they could do and if I would get the results I wanted... more research needed)
 
I created this "light box" which is a 12X12 scrapbook storage container with a strand of Christmas lights inside :) Learn to improvise! I then placed my scrapbook paper over the printed font and traced the letters with the fine point Sharpie in brown.
Here's how it looked...
 

Side view...
 

 
I used Edwardian Script ITC in size 95 and bold. Here's what the paper looked like after I added the font. I added the name of the child to the bottom for more personalization, but just a preference. (Hint: Cut the paper to the size of the board before you start. Yes, I thought my board was 12X12 till I put the paper up to it- eek! Thank goodness I had plenty of space on the side so it was easy to adjust for the 1 inch I was off)
 
 
 Step 2: I glued the paper down onto the board using Elmer's glue-all and spread it with a foam brush. I then used the side of a credit card to smooth out any bubbles that were created. If you have a smoother tool by all means use it. Again I improvise with what I have around :) 

 
After glue had dried, this was my product. Loving it so far...

 
Put my picture frame on the board to make sure everything looks good, before I continued. Learning from mistakes here :)
 
 
Step 3: I wanted to distress the frame so I sanded the edges of the frame and paper with my sander (hand sandpaper would work too). Then, grabbed a brush and used the Folk Art acrylic paint in Bark brown and painted the edge of the wood allowing my brush to come up over the paper in some parts. I love how it added age to it.

Step 4: Once paint dried (very quick), I used a foam brush and painted over the wood with the Mod Podge in Matte and let dry.

Step 5: I then glued the frame down in place (add the picture before hand) using the Weldbond glue) and placed heavy books (again improvise) down on it to help hold it together while it sealed.

 
The finished product...
 
 
I so want one of these made for me now after seeing how it came out! I added an easel to it because I wanted it to be something they could display, but you could add a sawtooth hanger if want to hang on the wall. The only thing I want to learn before I make another one of these is how to be able to change out the picture (like my etsy inspiration), but wood working skills are still in work! But I think for any baby photo frame, this is perfect, because who is going to change out their baby's picture ;)
 
Till my next inspiration...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment