Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Prayer Changes Things" Sign

This is the first for me... Normally I see things that inspire me to try to make my own, but this time I was approached with a picture of an inspiration and asked to make. Here was my MIL's inspiration that she saw at a craft fair and wanted me to make for a relative...
 
 
Materials used:
9X16 wood board
wood cross ($3.99 @ Hobby Lobby )
small wood cross ($2.99 @ Hobby Lobby for a bag of 8- got 40% off)
Valspar spray paint in brown ($4.79 @ Lowes)
Anita's All Purpose Acrylic paint in Antique White ($1.99 @ Hobby Lobby)
Weldbond glue ($3.99 @ Hobby Lobby)
Minwax Fast Drying Polycrylic (Lowes)
Elmer's painters pen in Brown Brun Cafe (Hobby Lobby)
foam brush, art brush
Cricut with Type Candy Font cartridge
sander
 
*** Some of these items I had on hand so can't give you price, but roughly cost $20 and 2 hrs to make + drying time**
 
Step 1: I cut the wood to the 9X16 size (just a size I picked based on the size of the crosses) and sanded the edges. I then spray painted the wood with the Valspar spray paint in brown and let dry. Once dry (few minutes), I painted the front of the board with Anita's All Purpose Acrylic paint in Antique White and let dry. I did not paint a thick layer over the brown because I wanted the brown to come through.
 
 
Step 2: Next I painted the 2 crosses that I picked out with the art brush. Now don't get mad at me, but I cannot tell you the exact colors or type of paint I used. I love to use things I have lying around when I do crafts so... I had some acrylic sample paints that come in these little containers that are glued together (don't know exact term for these), but you can see in picture below. I let the crosses dry (few minutes) and then glued them together using the Weldbond glue.
 
 
Step 3: I glued the crosses onto the board using the Weldbond glue. 
 
 
Step 4: Now you can use whatever you want for your font, but I used my Cricut machine for this project. I got this new cartridge called Type Candy Font 50% off @ Michael's and was dying to use it! So I cut the letters in the Better with Chocolate font and placed them how I wanted them on the board.
 
 
Step 5: I traced the letters using the Elmer's painters pen in brown.
 
 
Step 6: Seal the wood with Minwax fast drying poly and let dry.
 
The finished product...
 
 
I like the finished product, but if I had more time, I think I would have gone back & added some detail to the crosses- don't know. Ended up adding a sawtooth hanger on the back so it could be hung on the wall. The people I made it for greatly appreciated it and actually got a smile during a hard time so that made it all worth it. Hopefully it will be a constant reminder for them and anyone else who reads it!
 
Till my next inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment