Monday, June 17, 2013

Rolladesk make-over

First major upcycle project!!!
 
So it all started at a local Goodwill just looking for furniture or small things to make-over (you know how these stories go) and my mother and I ran across this desk for $14.99. Wow, I initially thought, I could turn this desk into a cool new craft table for me... after shortly playing around with the desk, it turned into a project for a new desk for my mother :) Desk itself was in pretty good condition, but the roll down part of the desk was broken. No worries cause my plan for this desk doesn't need it!
 


 
 
No inspiration for this desk except what I had in my head, but I did have a paint technique that I had read about that I was really wanting to try and what better piece than this to try it on, but I'll get into that later.
 
First thing first... I wanted a flat top desk so OFF with the top!
 

 
Amazing what we lose behind our desk-yuck! I'm going to invest in some gloves if I keep up with used furniture make-overs :)
 
So once I got the top off... now starts the fun!!!
 
Materials used
wood graining tool (Allway brand is what I went with because there were 3 different tools which I found at Sherwin Williams for $3.56 (it was 30% off!))
Valspar Mudslide in flat with primer ($26.97 @ Lowe's)
Valspar clear glaze ($16.77 @ Lowe's)
Sherwin Williams Sand Dollar in Matte ($12.59/quart- was 40% off!)
hardware ($14.70 @ Lowe's)
Elmer's wood filler ($3.48 @ Lowe's- if need)
Minwax Polycrylic gloss ($10.49/quart @ Sherwin Williams- 30% off!)
sander
brushs (Lowe's)
 
**First time I ever shopped Sherwin Williams and I'm so glad I did! They were very helpful and they were having a wonderful sale!!!
 
** Overall, all the supplies cost me roughly $70 and 7 hrs to complete + drying time**
 
Step 1: Once I took the top of the desk off, I took off all the hardware. (Hint: Even if getting new hardware, keep the old hardware till end of project) I then sanded down the entire desk.
 
 
Step 2 (if needed): Since I was removing a top section of the desk. I was left with the holes where they were held together. So I filled the holes with Elmer's wood filler. Once dry, I sanded it down to desk level.
 
 
close-up of the filled holes
 

 
Step 3: Next I painted the desk with Valspar Mudslide in flat. (Love paint with primer- only took 1 coat)



Step 4: Remember that awesome paint technique I mentioned earlier that I couldn't wait to try... well, here goes. I followed Recaptured Charm's directions by mixing my Valspar clear liquid glaze with the Sherwin Williams Sand Dollar in Matte with a 4:1 ratio. I used a cup for my measurement so as not to waste any paint or glaze & it was plenty of mixture for the desk. I then painted the desk with the mixture and followed it by running a dry brush through the paint. Then, grab the fine tooth side of your wood graining tool and run it down the whole surface. Now go back and drag the tool rocking it back and forth as you drag it along the desk. (Tip Recaptured Charm gave & I second: The more you rock the tool, the more grooves you'll create, but don't overdo it. If you do, simply paint over and start again). Let glaze slightly dry, then drag your dry brush through the glaze pulling it to soften the look (this really completed the look!)
 
 
 


 
Step 5: Once, desk was completely dry, I sealed the desk using a brush and the Minwax Polycrylic in gloss. Couple hours later after it dried, I sanded down the desk slightly and resealed the desk again.
 
Step 6: After desk has dried, I added the new hardware. (I used 6- 3" Traditional Bow Pulls and 4- 1 1/2" Provincial Knobs from Lowe's if curious) Now the hint I gave about keeping the old hardware made it easy to take to Lowe's to make sure my sizes were correct for the new hardware without having to measure, but most importantly is the screws that came with new hardware were too small! Eek! Thankfully, I also kept the screws to the old hardware and was able to use those with the new hardware or I would have had to go back for longer screws! See honey I do listen to you... sometimes :)
 
Finished Product!
 
 


 
For my first major furniture re-do I think it came out very well.
Let me know what you think...
 
Before and After
 
 
Till my next inspiration...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment